– The lawyer to the former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh has said that his client is willing to return N400 million to the federal government
– The lawyer said Metuh has established sufficient evidence that he was not aware of the source of the money made available to him (Metuh) by the former president, Goodluck Jonathan
A counsel to the embattled former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh has said his client is willing to return the N400 million he (Metuh) allegedly received illegally from the national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
Speaking to journalists in court today, May 25, Metuh’s lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu said that since his client have shown sufficient evidence that he (Metuh) did not know the source of N400 million transferred to his company account by Dasuki, he is willing to refund the said amount.
“Chief Metuh had shown sufficient evidence that he was not aware of the source of the N400 million made available to him by the former President and he has shown his willingness, since the commencement of this matter, to refund the said sum even when there is no guilt knowledge (mens rea),” Ikpeazu said.
Ikpeazu also said that having lost an application made at the Appeal Court, his client has the right to go ahead to the Supreme Court to seek justice.
“There are issues in the Appeal Court ruling the defence team is not comfortable with, after due consultation with our client, he will instruct us on the next action. The client has the right of appeal all the way to the Supreme Court,” he added.
Metuh’s appeal on the Federal High Court’s ruling against his no case submission was today upheld by the Appeal Court.
Also speaking on the dismissal of Metuh’s application to travel abroad for a spinal cord treatment, Ikpeazu said it is pertinent to note that his client’s health is paramount.
“What is important to us for now is the health situation of the defendant whose situation has continued to deteriorate. Even the constitution recognizes the fact that an accused should be alive and fit to face trial and defend himself,” he said.
Metuh has been under admission at the National Hospital in Abuja since Monday, May 23, following his ailing health condition.
He had earlier applied for the court to release his passport and grant him the permission to travel abroad for a spinal cord treatment.
But the trial judge in his matter, Justice Abang said his court lacked the jurisdiction to hear Metuh’s application for the release of his passport and as such cannot decide on his application to travel abroad for treatment.
Abang based his ruling on the grounds that the court having made pronouncements cannot go back on its own order.
The judge also said that Metuh failed to give evidence that no teaching hospital in Abuja can handle his health issue.